HBase >> mail # dev >> Handling protocol versions

Re: Handling protocol versions

> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Todd Lipcon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> One possibility:
>>
>> During the IPC handshake, we could send the full version string /
>> source checksum. Then, have a client-wide map which caches which
>> methods have been found to be supported or not supported for an
>> individual version. So, we don't need to maintain the mapping
>> ourselves, but we also wouldn't need to do the full retry every time.

Yeah this is what I was thinking as the alternate to the current approach of using VersionedProtocol.

>> A different idea would be to introduce a call like
>> "getServerCapabilities()" which returns a bitmap, and define a bit per
>> time that we add a new feature.
>>
>> The advantage of these approaches vs a single increasing version
>> number is that we sometimes want to backport a new IPC to an older
>> version, but not backport all of the intervening IPCs. Having a bitmap
>> allows us to "pick and choose" on backports without having to pull in
>> a bunch of things we didn't necessarily want.

Good point.

>>> The VersionedProtocol w/ client being able to interrogate what methods
>>> a server supports strikes me as a facility that will be rarely used if
>>> at all and bringing it along, keeping up the directory of supported
>>> methods, will take a load of work on our part that we'll do less than
>>> perfectly so should it ever be needed, it won't work because we let it
>>> go stale.

Yeah, this won't be a common case. It'd (hopefully) be rare. The directory of methods would be the methods in the protocol-interface at the server that could be figured by invoking reflection (and hence staleness issue shouldn't happen).

>>> What do you reckon?
>>>
>>> The above painted scenario too is a little on the exotic side.  We can
>>> do something like Jimmy suggests in those rare cases we need to add a
>>> new method because there is insufficient wiggle-room w/i the
>>> particular PB method call (If we get into the issue Ted raises where
>>> we'd have to go back to the server twice because there is a third new
>>> method call, we're doing our API wrong).

Agree that the exception handling hack can be played here.. In general, having some solution around this might be really helpful *if* we get some API wrong (for e.g., indirect implication on memory by the API semantics) and we need to fix it without breaking compatibility.. In HDFS, listFile proved to be a memory killer for extremely large directories and people implemented the iterator version of the same.
The version in "hrpc" is the RPC version (as opposed to protocol version). I think that's orthogonal to this discussion..
As I answered above, and as Todd also says, it probably makes sense to have a client wide cache for protocol<->supported-methods .. and look up the cache when and if the client needs to decide between different versions of a method, or picking a new method, based on the server it is talking to...