Hadoop, mail # general - Java Versions and Hadoop

Re: Java Versions and Hadoop
Ted Dunning 2011-10-10, 00:55
On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 5:49 PM, Brian Bockelman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> You know, I was looking around for Java EOL information a few weeks ago and
> found this:
>
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html
>
> I might not be reading closely enough, but that says Java 6 is EOL in 9
> months.  In terms of major releases and getting things stable… that's just
> around the corner.
>
> Brian
>
> On Oct 8, 2011, at 1:19 PM, Ted Dunning wrote:
>
> > I hate to sound like the folks who only recently stopped using 1.4, but I
> am
> > afraid that Todd is right on here.
> >
> > The folks who are desperate for new features are being siphoned off by
> Scala
> > and Clojure which is leaving a core of recalcitrant termagants like me.
> > think that it is going to take something as major as the EOL of Java 6 to
> > get big projects to allow code that requires Java 7.

Classic.  The conversations about requiring Java 6 are just barely dying
down in time for EOL of Java 6.  Maybe we ought start talking about
requiring java 9 NOW so that we can finish in time for it to end.

Yowza.