Hadoop, mail # user - Issue with loading the Snappy Codec

Re: Issue with loading the Snappy Codec
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2012-04-14, 16:30

Hadoop has integrated snappy via installed native libraries instead of snappy-java.jar (ref https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-7206)
 - You need to have the snappy system libraries (snappy and snappy-devel) installed before you compile hadoop. (RPMs are available on the web, http://pkgs.org/centos-5-rhel-5/epel-i386/21/ for example)
 - When you build hadoop, you will need to compile the native libraries(by passing -Dcompile.native=true to ant) to avail snappy support.
 - You also need to make sure that snappy system library is available on the library path for all mapreduce tasks at runtime. Usually if you install them on /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib, it should work.

HTH,
+Vinod