Hadoop, mail # general - 0.23.3 release coming soon

Re: 0.23.3 release coming soon
Robert Evans 2012-08-23, 23:03
We don't have a private git repo.  That was the whole point of this so we
can do all of this in public.  What we run and build is purely what is on
branch-0.23.

> Note that, end of the day, ultimately community has to mark hadoop-2 as
>stable. but not 23.3..versions right.

The community can do what ever they want following the Hadoop Project's
bylaws http://hadoop.apache.org/bylaws.html.  An official release of
hadoop requires a lazy majority vote of PMC members.  Marking a release as
stable is not something that is voted on according to the bylaws.  We all
want hadoop-2 to become stable, but it is up to individual users if it is
stable enough for them.  The fact that hadoop-2.0.0 and hadoop-2.1.0 are
marked as alpha is only to warn people that the release has not really
been tested at scale.  There was a lot of discussion when the alpha was
added to the name if that really was necessary.  The community decided
that it was helpful so that is why we did it.

0.23.3 is very close to 2.0.0-aplha but without Name Node HA, and with
more bug fixes.  You are correct that even if all of the bugs in 0.23 are
fixed it does not guarantee that all of the bugs in 2 will be fixed
because of that.  But it does guarantee that someone else will not have to
fix a bug in 2 that is also in 0.23.

--Bobby Evans