HBase, mail # user - Questions about data distribution in HBase

Re: Questions about data distribution in HBase
Nick Dimiduk 2010-03-29, 21:27
Hi William,

I think you are slightly confused about the usage and intention of HBase.
Let me first say that HBase is a *storage* system designed for low latency,
random access retrieval - built on top of HDFS for high availability. That
is, it's a storage system, not a processing system. It solves the "large
file problems" of HDFS wherein access to arbitrary slices of a file require
scanning through every segment preceding that segment, giving random access
by record key.

For further details of HBase, I'll +1 the suggestion of reviewing the post
by Lars George.

You haven't contributed any details re: what kind of "processing" you wish
to accomplish over this video data. Based on your focus on low latency, I
will assume the m/r batch processing suggested earlier is not acceptable and
you require some kind of low-latency, immediate response solution. If this
is indeed the case, I suggest you look at using Katta (
http://katta.sourceforge.net/) for your low-latency processing. It says
"Distributed Lucene" but they actually mean "Distributed, Low-Latency
Aggregates." Perhaps an acceptable solution for you is random-access storage
of your video data in HBase combined with a custom Katta server for
processing of low-latency requests.

Any further details you can provide about your project will aid in the
direction and advice The List can provide.

Cheers,
-Nick