Accumulo, mail # dev - Generic Supertypes/Pluggable Client

Re: Generic Supertypes/Pluggable Client
Josh Elser 2013-07-05, 12:39
On Jul 5, 2013 8:00 AM, "Ed Kohlwey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I had chatted a little less than a year ago about doing something like
> this. I finally had some time to sit down and do a little coding to show
> what I'm thinking of.
>
> The use of the various Text, CharSequence, and byte[] objects is really
> overcomplicated for most users. It would be nice to have a better API.

Just a knee-jerk reaction here, but allowing a user to provide Text, String
or byte[] is painful?

I've always viewed it as String if I want to be lazy, and byte[] or Text
when I'm more concerned about performance and don't want to be making new
objects for every record I need insert into Accumulo.

> While we're at it, it seems sense to make it pluggable. This has the
> advantage of providing backwards compatibility with the current API while
> still allowing us to tidy up moving forwards.
>
> I've opened an issue to document thoughts on this as well as a github pull
> request to document progress.

> https://github.com/ekohlwey/accumulo/compare/apache:trunk...ACCUMULO-1551

Sweet. I look forward to checking out what you have already.