Avro >> mail # user >> Schema Registry?

Schema Registry?
Can someone break down how message serialization would work with Avro and a schema registry? We are planning to use Avro with Kafka and I've read instead of adding a schema to every single event it would be wise to add some sort of fingerprint with each message to identify which schema it should used. What I'm having trouble understanding is, how do we read the fingerprint without a schema? Don't we need the schema to deserialize?  Same question goes for working with Hadoop.. how does the input format know which schema to use?

Thanks