MapReduce >> mail # user >> Re: Experimental Hadoop Cluster - Linux Windows machines

Re: Experimental Hadoop Cluster - Linux Windows machines
My first suggestion is to go for CentOS as it is free and almost the same
as RHEL.
Also having a 64 bit OS lets you use a bit more of the installed memory

Then if you can simply install CentOS on these machines and have the
network running you should be fine.

I have been running experiments on something identical to what you are
describing here.

Niels Basjes
On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 9:47 PM, Rody BigData <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have some old ( not very old - each of 4GB RAM with a decent processor
> etc., and working fine till now ) Dell Windows XP machines and want to
> convert them to a Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) for a Hadoop cluster for
> my experimental purposes.
>
> Can you give me some suggestions on how to proceed on this plan? My
> initial plan is to target 4 to 5 machines.
>
> Does the hardware on which Windows XP machine is based supports RHEL?
>
> Are there any other drivers or software should we install before
> installing RHEL on this machines?
>
> How easy/difficult is this, if some one like a Linux Systems Administrator
> is involved in this?

Niels Basjes