Hadoop >> mail # general >> Release plans

+
Eli Collins 2010-02-16, 22:12
+
Stack 2010-02-18, 18:54
+
Eli Collins 2010-02-18, 19:28
Re: Release plans

On Feb 18, 2010, at 11:28 AM, Eli Collins wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 10:54 AM, Stack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Eli Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote:
>>> Hey guys,
>>>
>>> What are the current plans for the 21 release?
>>>
>> Doesn't seem like there is much interest going by the deafening
>> silence Eli.
>>
>> Did it come up last night at the HUG?
>>

> It did, Owen gave an update in his talk and there was some follow on
> discussion. The question of whether it makes sense to rebase 21 on
> trunk came up, since 21 has gotten really out of date since it was
> branched. What do you and others think of rebasing the 21 branch on
> trunk once security is feature complete next month, and then targeting
> an initial release a month after that? The rationale being that 21
> branch is old, has not been getting the backports it needs, and the
> community should be releasing relatively recent bits. In the mean time
> we can focus on 21/trunk blockers. It doesn't look like there are a
> ton more trunk blockers than 21 blockers. I know people, HBase in
> particular, have been waiting for a 21 release for a while so delaying
> further is a pain, and we should consider rolling what we've got, the
> hope would be that the 21 branch would be more widely useful if it has
> more recent features and fixes.

If the community want the append features fast then we  are better off
using the original 21 branch.
Basing a 21 off trunk will mean that there are more features with a
new set of blockers and  and hence will take longer to fix.
sanjay
+
Doug Cutting 2010-02-18, 19:29
+