Avro, mail # user - New name requirements for Avro 1.5

+
Matt Pouttu-Clarke 2011-06-10, 17:46
Re: New name requirements for Avro 1.5
Douglas Creager 2011-06-10, 19:23
> I am using Avro for processing/encoding billions of rows using Hadoop.  When I attempted to upgrade to Avro 1.5 I got an error about illegal field names.  I notice this case happens when I use a ‘-’ character or a ‘.’ in a field name.
>
> Are there any other restrictions on fields names I need to know when upgrading?

You can find the full details in the Avro spec [1].  It's basically just like the identifier restrictions in most programming languages.  Names can only contain letters, numbers, and underscores, and can't start with a number.  Dots are used to created namespaces, just like fully-qualified Java identifiers.

[1] http://avro.apache.org/docs/current/spec.html

cheers
–doug
+