Accumulo >> mail # user >> [VOTE] 1.5.0-RC3

Re: [VOTE] 1.5.0-RC3
There were three options to dropping "assemble" from the binary
packages (ACCUMULO-1413):
1. Convoluted Maven patch:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12583347/ACCUMULO-1413.v1.patch
that will probably cause more problems than it fixes, because it
rotates the dependency graph on its head (I actually made a drawing of
this to explain it to Keith).
2. Simple artifactId rename so binaries packages are renamed according
to the name of the project, because this is primarily what users will
see.
3. Re-write and maintain our own source-release assembly descriptors,
overriding the upstream-defined one from the Apache parent POM.

I went with option 2, for the following reasons:
1. I was able to think of an artifactId that would make sense as an
artifactId for a source-release (accumulo-project).
2. It's more important that the unpacked binary release be consistent.
3. I don't want to maintain a second release assembly that can drift
from one defined upstream that *works*.
4. The source directory name and tarball don't really matter. Anybody
willing to compile from source is not going to be sufficiently
bothered by a slight naming convention difference in the root
directory of a tarball to deter them from unpacking that tarball and
building from source.
5. The file can always be renamed. If we need to automate unpacking
and repacking with a different file name (rather than maintain our own
custom source assembly), fine, but this seems wholly unnecessary.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii