Hive, mail # user - drop table: no err on nonexistant table?

drop table: no err on nonexistant table?
Keith Wiley 2012-08-06, 18:06
I'm wrapping hive in a web tool and would like to do some basic error-checking.  If an attempt is made to drop a table that doesn't exist, I would like to show an error message.  The problem is, hive doesn't seem to produce any sort of error when dropping a table that doesn't exists.  Furthermore, if hive is run on the command line (-e) it doesn't return an error status.  Therefore, I think the only way to detect such an error is to actually inspect the table list (show tables) and manually see if the drop attempt will find a corresponding table.

Can I get an error of some sort on this or is it not possible?

Thank you.

sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
                                           --  Galileo Galilei
Keith Wiley 2012-08-06, 18:31