Colin McCabe 2013-02-17, 21:48
Andrew Purtell 2013-02-18, 02:35
Stack 2013-02-18, 01:49
Tsz Wo Sze 2013-02-18, 22:03
Todd Lipcon 2013-02-20, 00:11
Patrick Angeles 2013-02-20, 18:08
Tsz Wo Sze 2013-02-20, 19:56
Tsz Wo Sze 2013-02-20, 23:01
Todd Lipcon 2013-02-20, 23:06
Todd Lipcon 2013-02-20, 23:06
Re: VOTE: HDFS-347 merge
The reason to keep it around is that the HDFS-347 only support Unix but not other OS.

Tsz-Wo
________________________________
 From: Todd Lipcon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Tsz Wo Sze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:06 PM
Subject: Re: VOTE: HDFS-347 merge

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Tsz Wo Sze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Also, the patch seems to have removed the existing short-circuit read feature (HDFS-2246).  It is an incompatible change.  I think the patch is farther away from being ready and I would keep my -1.

The existing short circuit feature is insecure and was always
considered a stop-gap solution. If you read the history of that
feature, you can find comments like
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-4476 where I pointed out
that it's only a stop-gap solution and the only reason I didn't veto
is that folks agreed to later replace it with the proper solution
(HDFS-347).

Given that the API is the same, and this is an implementation detail,
it is not incompatible. There is no reason to keep the old
implementation around: it is both slower and unusable in the vast
majority of clusters, where the data directories are owned by an HDFS
user, and users of the cluster run under other unix credentials.

-Todd
--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera