HBase, mail # dev - Finding some PreCommit Green

+
Nick Dimiduk 2012-12-13, 18:24
+
Stack 2012-12-13, 19:01
+
Nicolas Liochon 2012-12-13, 18:44
+
Nick Dimiduk 2012-12-13, 19:56
+
Stack 2012-12-13, 21:19
Re: Finding some PreCommit Green
Nick Dimiduk 2012-12-13, 22:33
On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 1:19 PM, Stack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > What does the -DHBasePatchProcess flag do? A `git grep` yields no
> results.
>
> I don't know.
>
> I see it made up in ./dev-support/test-patch.sh
>
>  3   $MVN clean test -DskipTests -D${PROJECT_NAME}PatchProcess >
> $PATCH_DIR/trunkJavacWarnings.txt 2>&1
It's used on line 614 to find and kill any "rogue build processes from the
last attempt." Doesn't that mean any other builds running concurrently on
this host will be assassinated by the new build? Does Jenkins ensure only
one HBasePatchProcess runs on a given host at a time?

> The step "Determining number of patched javadoc warnings." would be more
> > useful if it ran javadoc on unpatched trunk and compared results to
> produce
> > the number of new warnings produced. It claims to do something similar
> for
> > javac warnings (though I don't believe it).
>
> Yes.

I've opened a ticket to add this feature: HBASE-7349. I believe it can also
deprecate the variable OK_JAVADOC_WARNINGS.

> Tests for hbase-server failed with no clear reason produced. Perhaps
> > running secondPartTestsExecution in serial will reveal the
> failure/timeout?
>
> That's be sweet.

Here's another ticket: HBASE-7350

> Whatever script is handling "Recording test results" could use the default
> > value i mentioned in my initial comment.
>
> Is it the return out of the function inside ./dev-support/test-patch.sh
> called submitJiraComment?

I don't think so. The last act of test-patch.sh is to print the banner
"Finished build." and exit. What does Jenkins do after it runs this script?
Regardless, I no longer believe this is causing the endemic build failures.
I'm more suspicious of the xargs/kill.
+
Stack 2012-12-13, 22:40
+