HBase >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSS] More new feature backports to 0.94.

Re: [DISCUSS] More new feature backports to 0.94.
I don't think it is a debate about feature vs bug fix -- I've been trying
to make a general case about major feature backports.   I agree that we are
basically on the same page for the general case.    I've been using some of
the current candidate features as examples but I'm really trying to focus
on defining a general "finished" condition early-on for big backports
(bullet points that would be highlights of the next release), and to
express the need for higher scrutiny on these commits.  I'll post specific
details for each proposal in the appropriate jira.

In the specific case, I actually do want the table locks, but only after
they are done and have some evidence of stability.   I would much rather
have known bugs with known workarounds instead of unknown issues introduced
by a backported feature, and would like to avoid hackery introduced by
compatibility bugs fire drills.

The points I'm trying to make about 0.95.x is that ideally it is where the
new features get further hardened (as opposed to the stable branch).
 Ideally the release manager for that version will start gate keeping what
new major features/changes make it in there so that we have a chance of
releasing it and a 0.96 sometime soon. :)

Jon.

// Jonathan Hsieh (shay)
// Software Engineer, Cloudera
// [EMAIL PROTECTED]