Hadoop, mail # dev - MPI: Java/JNI help

MPI: Java/JNI help
Ralph Castain 2012-01-30, 23:58
Hi folks

As per earlier emails, I'm just about ready to release the Java MPI bindings. I have one remaining issue and would appreciate some help.

We typically build OpenMPI dynamically. For the Java bindings, this means that the JNI code underlying the Java binding must dynamically load OMPI plug-ins. Everything works fine on Mac. However, on Linux, I am getting dynamic library load errors.

I have tried setting -Djava.library.path and LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the correct locations. In both cases, I get errors from the JNI code indicating that it was unable to open the specified dynamic library.

I have heard from one person that JNI may need to be built statically, and I suppose it is possible that Apple's customized Java implementation specifically resolved that problem. However, all the online documentation I can find indicates that Java on Linux should also be able to load dynamic libraries - but JNI is not specifically addressed.

Can any of you Java experts provide advice on this behavior? I'd like to get these bindings released!

Thanks
Ralph
+
Kihwal Lee 2012-01-31, 00:13