MapReduce >> mail # user >> Re: Physically moving HDFS cluster to new

Re: Physically moving HDFS cluster to new
Here's a rough guideline:

Moving a cluster isn't all that different from upgrading it. The initial steps are the same:
- stop your mapreduce services
- switch you namenode to safe mode
- generate a final image with -saveNamespace
- stop your hfds services
- back up your metadata - as long as you have a copy of you metadata, there's a good chance you can recover a cluster without data loss

Now, before you turn off and pack up your machines, it's a good idea to update your hosts, as Bejoy describes. Assuming you do have the new IPs in advance, of course. It isn't strictly necessary, but if your services are configured to start on a bootup, it will save you the work of bringing them down, updating your hosts/XMLs, then bringing them up again.

Now, when the namenode starts, all it has is the metadata. It knows what files should be in HDFS, and what blocks belong to which files. But it has no information on where it can find those blocks. If you run a fsck, it will report back saying every file is corrupt. So don't do it, it will just generate unnecessary panic.

When a datanode starts, it scans its data directories, and makes a list of all the blocks it has. If you configured your cluster right, the datanode will then locate the namenode, and pass this block report on. After a few minutes, once all your datanodes are online, your namenode will report a full, healthy file system. You can run some sanity checks, and once you're satisfied, start the jobtracker and tasktrackers.

Good luck!
Marcos