Kafka, mail # dev - [DISCUSS] Graduate from incubator?

+
Jay Kreps 2012-05-24, 03:14
+
Alan D. Cabrera 2012-05-24, 03:32
+
Chris Burroughs 2012-06-06, 02:17
+
Jay Kreps 2012-06-06, 19:51
+
Joel Koshy 2012-06-07, 00:46
+
Neha Narkhede 2012-06-07, 01:10
+
Jun Rao 2012-06-08, 16:23
Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate from incubator?
Joe Stein 2012-06-08, 17:59
I would be interested to drive a 0.7.1 release.

On Jun 8, 2012, at 12:23 PM, Jun Rao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Actually, any committers outside of LinkedIn is interested in drive an
> 0.7.1 release? That will help diversifying the community. It should be much
> easier than the 0.7.0 release since most of the licensing issues have been
> resolved.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jun
>
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 5:46 PM, Joel Koshy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I think an 0.7.1 release would be suitable in any case given that there are
>> few additional features and API changes since 0.7.0 - I can drive that,
>> although an 0.7.1 release need not necessarily hold up pursuing graduation
>> if people prefer (1).
>>
>> Joel
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Jay Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> This is a fair point. I am not sure of the best practices on the number
>> of
>>> releases to do before graduation. The Incubator docs imply a fairly low
>>> bar:
>>> "Projects need to cut releases. Apache projects need to understand how to
>>> cut Apache releases. Therefore it is an important step during your stay
>> in
>>> the incubator to demonstrate the ability to create an Apache Release.
>>> Podlings
>>> do not need to actually *publish* a release to demonstrate that they
>>> understand how to accomplish such a feat. However, creating a release
>> that
>>> is approved by the incubator project management
>>> committee<
>>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html#Incubator+Project+Management+Committee+%28PMC%29
>>>>
>>> is usually the simplest way to do this."
>>> (http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#releases)
>>>
>>> They refer to "a release" not "releases", and mention that they don't
>>> particularly care if you publish it or not. We might want to set a higher
>>> bar for ourselves, though.
>>>
>>> We had planned on having 0.8 be the next release, and that is still a few
>>> months out I suspect. However we did take a number of minor features and
>>> fixes post 0.7 that are only on trunk it would probably be possible to
>> do a
>>> 0.7.1 without too much drama and that would make that work available to
>>> people in a more easily consumable form . On the other hand it would be
>>> nice to just be heads down and focus on 0.8 too. So if people agree with
>>> Chris's feedback there are three options:
>>>
>>> 1. Pursue graduation now
>>> 2. Do a 0.7.1 release, pursue graduation when that is completed
>>> 3. Wait until 0.8 is out, pursue graduation after that
>>>
>>> Anyone have a strong preference for one of these options?
>>>
>>> -Jay

>>> those
>> going

>> know