Hadoop >> mail # general >> Hadoop 0.22/HBase 0.92 package repos are now available

+
Roman Shaposhnik 2011-09-28, 00:13
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2011-09-28, 01:26
+
J. Rottinghuis 2011-09-28, 04:55
+
Milind.Bhandarkar@... 2011-09-28, 18:54
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2011-09-29, 01:28
+
Brian Bockelman 2011-09-29, 02:24
+
Tom White 2011-09-29, 18:57
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2011-09-28, 17:45
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2011-09-29, 20:53
+
Milind.Bhandarkar@... 2011-09-29, 21:10
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2011-09-29, 22:52
+
Milind.Bhandarkar@... 2011-09-29, 23:29
Re: Hadoop 0.22/HBase 0.92 package repos are now available
Pig 8.2 is likely not going to happen (0 interest from any of the
committers).

0.9 has already been released, 9.1 is in the works, as is 10.

Not sure how Milind compiled that list of features in 0.9 but it's kind of
an odd grab-bag of 0.8 and 0.9 features.

The MASSIVE improvement 0.9 introduced is macros. There are other things;
one unheralded in the 3 blog posts below is that handling of nested
structures is cleaned up a lot (in a subtly non-backwards-compatible way).

http://www.hortonworks.com/new-apache-pig-features-part-1-macro/
http://www.hortonworks.com/new-apache-pig-features-part-2-embedding/ (note:
not udfs in other languages, that was already in 8).
http://www.hortonworks.com/new-apache-pig-0-9-features-part-3-additional-features/
On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 3:52 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 2011/9/29  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > [CC'ng Pig-dev].
> >
> > In terms of interest, what is the community more interested in seeing
> work
> > with Hadoop 0.22 ? Pig 0.8.x or Pig.0.9.
> >

> > I took a look at pig 0.9 added features:
> >
> > New parser (still has corner cases)
> > UDFs in languages other than Java
> > Macros
> > Hcatalog support
> >
> > As far as existing installations are concerned, my belief is that these
> > features do not make a very compelling case for pig 0.9 to be compatible
> > immediately with Hadoop 0.22, and pig 0.8.x makes more sense.
> >
> > What do people think ?
>
> Personally, I'd like to see both of these code lines to have a
> compatibility
> releases to address 0.22/0.23 issues. Also, I'd be totally happy with
> 0.9 NOT addressing this issues if there's 0.10 planned soon enough.
>
> As for 0.8 I really, really, really would like to see a compatibility
> release.
> From the Bigtop side, I can help with build and testing, but I guess we
> need somebody from the Pig community to chime in on how feasible
> 0.8.2 will be.
>
> Thanks,
> Roman.

+