Chukwa >> mail # dev >> Re: What constitute a successful project?

+
Dai, Jason 2012-11-29, 13:54
+
Eric Yang 2012-11-30, 06:39
+
Jerome Boulon 2012-11-30, 09:04
+
Alan Cabrera 2012-11-30, 16:05
+
Eric Yang 2012-11-27, 08:08
+
Alan Cabrera 2012-11-27, 14:19
+
Suresh Marru 2012-11-27, 12:36
+
Benson Margulies 2012-11-27, 13:54
+
ant elder 2012-11-27, 15:16

On Nov 27, 2012, at 7:16 AM, ant elder wrote:

> Unless there are compelling reason to stop, i.e continuing breaches of
> basic ASF polices and principles, then where possible letting a poddling
> continue incubation or just graduate seems better to me than making them go
> elsewhere. Its not like a small slow problem is chewing up ASF resources,
> but i understand not everyone here agrees with my views on that. Wink is an
> example of poddling in similar circumstances and there we are about to have
> decided that graduation is better than retirement. Perhaps thats a better
> approach. I don't recall a graduation recommendation request from the
> Incubator has ever been rejected by the board so perhaps the Incubator is
> too conservative with graduation recommendations.
>
> Its interesting comparing Wink and Chukwa. From many perspectives Chukwa is
> much more active than Wink but we're about to graduate Wink and talking
> about retiring this one. I've not yet had a chance to go through all the
> Chukwa archives but unless i'm misunderstanding something Chukwa isn't just
> a lone coder, there have been several committers in the last months and
> while one is doing the majority of the commits many of those are actually
> applying patches from other people, so it looks like there are a bunch of
> people out there working on the project and we need to find ways of better
> integrating them into the poddling community.

This is an interesting line of reasoning worth pursuing, IMO.  If Chukwa and Wink are actually on a par with each other we should see if it make sense to apply the same reasoning about Wink to Chukwa.

Are we implicitly having a policy change with podlings, if so, should we make it explicit?
Regards,
Alan
+
Eric Yang 2012-11-28, 05:41