Hadoop >> mail # general >> Hadoop build machine donations?

Re: Hadoop build machine donations?
Yes, donating hardware to ASF is tricky for all the reasons you've outlined, not the least of which you can't donate to a specific project.  That's why I emphasized **access** to hardware in my request.

Background of current ASF build machines:
1) Y! officially donated 4 machines to ASF, hosting them in a Y! data center.  ASF allocated 2 to Jenkins which helped Hadoop a little bit.  These are minerva and vesta, aka ubuntu1 and ubuntu2 slaves.  The other 2 were allocated to a build bot setup which didn't help Hadoop.
2) A year or so later Y! put another 30 machines in the same rack as the 4 donated ASF machines, but didn't actually donate them to the ASF.   When I asked ASF Infra folks, no one had problems hooking up non ASF hardware to the ASF Jenkins.  Thus from these 30 machines, hadoop1 thru hadoop9 are now Jenkins slaves, plus a bunch of other nodes not connected to Jenkins.

So, donating **access** to hardware for Hadoop builds has been a relatively successful model over the past couple years.  Again, another open to donating **access** to hardware for Hadoop builds?

Cheers,
Nige