From: Arun C Murthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
            [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
Date: 04/25/2013 08:34 PM
Subject: Heads up - 2.0.5-beta

Gang,

 With hadoop-2.0.4-alpha released, I'd like 2.0.4 to be the final of our
hadoop-2.x alphas. We have made lots of progress on hadoop-2.x and I
believe we are nearly there, exciting times!

 As we have discussed previously, I hope to do a final push to stabilize
hadoop-2.x, release a hadoop-2.0.5-beta in the next month or so; and then
declare hadoop-2.1 as stable this summer after a short period of intensive
testing.

 With that in mind, I really want to make a serious push to lock down APIs
and wire-protocols for hadoop-2.0.5-beta. Thus, we can confidently support
hadoop-2.x in a compatible manner in the future. So, it's fine to add new
features, but please ensure that all APIs are frozen for hadoop-2.0.5-beta

 Vinod is helping out on the YARN/MR side and has tagged a number of final
changes (including some the final API incompatibilities) we'd like to push
in before we call hadoop-2.x as ready to be supported (Target Version set
to 2.0.5-beta):
 http://s.apache.org/target-hadoop-2.0.5-beta
 Thanks Vinod! (Note some of the sub-tasks of umbrella jiras may not be
tagged, but their necessity is implied).

 Similarly on HDFS side, can someone please help out by tagging features,
bug-fixes, protocol/API changes etc.? This way we can ensure HDFS APIs &
protocols are locked down too - I'd really appreciate it!

thanks,
Arun
--
Arun C. Murthy