Hadoop, mail # general - HEP proposal

Re: HEP proposal
Aaron Kimball 2010-07-15, 01:23
Eli,

Great work. I like where this is going.

Here's something that I think might be problematic:

3. Copyright/public domain -- Each HEP must either be explicitly
labelled as placed in the public domain (see this HEP as an example).
"must either be placed in the public domain, or..?" I assume the alternative
is an open source copyright license? You should state what this is. PEP's
alternative is "licensed under the Open Publication License."  (
http://www.opencontent.org/openpub/) Is that your intent?

Upon acceptance of a PEP, the PEP workflow states that it should be checked
into svn. Are we planning to host accepted HEPs in the Hadoop svn? If so, we
should specify that non-public-domain HEPs should be placed under a license
listed on http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html. The Open Publication
License isn't listed there. Nor are the GFDL and other documentation
licenses (presumably not because they're not specifically allowed, but
because Apache deals with code more than documentation). Note that
CC/Attribution/Share-Alike is allowed. You may want to recommend that one?

- Aaron