HBase, mail # dev - Snapshots branch trunk merging

Snapshots branch trunk merging
Jonathan Hsieh 2013-02-12, 22:12
Hey all,

We did a branch merge of the snapshot branch (hbase-6055 and
hbase-7290 combined) with trunk on 2/1/13.  This merge initially had
several always broken tests but  since then Ted, Matteo and myself
fixed all the always-broken unit tests.  I've merged again today
2/12/13 [1], and posted a patch on HBASE-7290 for the hadoopqa bot to
run.

There are primarily four of us who worked on this branch -- Jesse Y,
Matteo, Ted Yu and myself, so if we each +1, technically we would have
the 3 +1's required and could merge.  I wanted to solicit +1's from
the four who worked  on it (all committers now) and also find out if
anyone else has started reviewing the code or intends to in the next
few days.  It is a large patch (1.3MB) that I can post on review
board, but it may be easier to understand by going to the different
individual jiras (some of which have design docs).   Generally we've
been using a looser of review then commit for each of the subtasks. If
I get clean test runs from the QA bot and +1's from the folks who
worked on it or planned on reviewing it, I'd like merge sooner rather
than later.

On the unit testing front, I've personally gotten one error-free unit
tests runs runs and one with a failure in hbase-examples:
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.coprocessor.example.TestBulkDeleteProtocol.testBulkDeleteFamily.

On the system testing side, I've been testing the pre-merge version
outlined by Aleks [2] and it had been fairly robust on a 5 node
cluster with fault injection.  I've also done some testing on a 20
node cluster (no fault injection) and a few runs on a 100 node cluster
where the snapshoting feature has been robust.

Thanks,
Jon.

[1] https://github.com/jmhsieh/hbase/tree/snapshot-merge-0212
[2] http://markmail.org/message/pdbkq654ipuxyt6a