Hive, mail # user - Rename external table, including HDFS directory

Re: Rename external table, including HDFS directory
Dean Wampler 2013-03-08, 00:02
You can rename the LOCATION with an ALTER TABLE command. I don't believe
there's a single, "atomic" statement to rename both the table and the
directory.

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 5:29 PM, Keith Wiley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My understanding is that renaming and external table doesn't rename the
> corresponding HDFS directory to match.  I would like to do this; I want to
> rename the table in Hive and also rename the HDFS directory so they match
> (they already match with the old name).  I'm not sure how to do this.  I'm
> worried that if I rename the HDFS directory through Hadoop, not Hive, that
> Hive will lose track of the directory, regardless of whether I rename the
> table in Hive as well.
>
> I also don't want to drop and recreate the table because I don't want to
> notify Hive of all the partitions all over again.
>
> Thoughts?

> Keith Wiley     [EMAIL PROTECTED]     keithwiley.com
> music.keithwiley.com
>
> "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
>                                            --  Yoda

*Dean Wampler, Ph.D.*
thinkbiganalytics.com
+1-312-339-1330