Hive >> mail # user >> DISCUSS: Hive language manual to be source control managed

Re: DISCUSS: Hive language manual to be source control managed
> The page that strikes me as alarmingly poor is the:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/Hive/languagemanual.html

The correct link is:
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/LanguageManual>

For some reason there is an "Auto Export" Plugin which exports all
Confluence pages as static HTML. That process is apparently broken.
Unfortunately those pages appear as the top results in Google.

> The language manual is in very poor shape at the moment with broken links,
> incorrect content, incomplete content, and poor coverage of the actual
> languages. IMHO the attempts to crowd-source this documentation has failed.
> Having a good concise language manual is critical to the success and
> adoption of hive.

I agree. A few people try to keep up the documentation but as long as
patches are accepted without any documentation this situation won't
improve no matter the format of the documentation. Often not even the
JIRA issues even mention the actual changes, you have to dig in the
source code to find the new features/settings. I assume that a lot of
communication happens offline.

So one big step forward would be to not commit any feature changes
without documentation in the Wiki or at least a clear and up to date
description of the change in the JIRA.

Cheers,
Lars