Hive >> mail # user >> Can a bucket be added to a partition?

+
Babe Ruth 2013-04-30, 19:03
+
Jie Li 2013-05-02, 04:38
Re: Can a bucket be added to a partition?
you can add the buckets to a paritions no problems with that.

But to have a bucketed map join what you need is, both the tables need to
bucketed and they need to be in the multiplication factor of each other
like if you have X number of buckets on table A then table B will need NX
number of partitions where N >= 1

there is no condition on partition keys for join condition. Hive only
supports equi joins so its always good idea to have table partitioned on
same column so that you don't have to scan the entire table to match the
column values and you can restrict the data to table in where condition

--
Nitin Pawar