Avro, mail # user - Avro and Hive

+
Ken Krugler 2010-10-28, 18:43
+
Scott Carey 2010-11-01, 16:32
Re: Avro and Hive
Ken Krugler 2010-11-02, 16:34
Hi Scott,

Thanks for the detailed response. It sounds like currently the best
approach is to create custom schemas for Hive that support reading
Avro data files.

Given the current version of Avro, does it work to set the INPUTFORMAT
as AvroInputFormat when creating a table in Hive?

Thanks,

-- Ken

On Nov 1, 2010, at 9:32am, Scott Carey wrote:

> On Oct 28, 2010, at 11:43 AM, Ken Krugler wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'd seen past emails from Scott and Doug about using Avro as the data
>> format for Hive.
>>
>> This was back in April/May, and I'm wondering about current state of
>> the world.
>
> I use avro data files readable from both Pig and Hive.  Currently
> this is on our custom schemas and not general purpose read/write.  A
> key future benefit is more easy sharing of arbitrary data inputs/
> outputs between Hive, Pig, Java M/R, and anything else.   Note that,
> the Howl problem is also attacking this problem.  It might make
> sense to contribute an Avro backend and adapter for that project, so
> that an avro data file can be read in as a table in Howl.  That
> would be a while off (~year?) at best if I am the contributor.
>>
>> Specifically, what's the recommended approach (& known issues) with
>> using Avro files with Hive?
>>
>> E.g. Scott mentioned that "Avro files should be better performing and
>> more compact than sequence files." Has that been proven out?
>>

> In general this will be the case.  SequenceFiles use Writables.
> These don't often store data in binary format as compact as avro
> does, and are often composed together to form more complicated
> writables.  Reading and writing each writable tends to lead to more
> fine grained access to the stream which is slower.
>
> However, one could make a specialized writable for a specific data
> type or dataset that is very fast and would out-do what a general
> purpose tool like Avro does.  For the most part in general use it is
> the slightly smaller size of Avro that would more likely be noticed
> than any performance difference.  Compression overhead dwarfs minor
> performance differences.  The goal of serialization performance in
> my opinion, is to make your choice of compression be the primary
> factor in performance.
>
> There is currently no equivalent of MapFile or a columnar storage
> format in Avro (yet).
>
>> He also discussed a minor issue with maps - "Their maps however can
>> have any intrinsic type as a key (int, long, string, float, double)."
>>

> Represent arbitrary map as an Avro array of (key, value) tuples.
> This has no restrictions.  In some sense, that is all an Avro Map is
> anyway, a special case Array of (key, value) with a default map data
> structure in the language API.  Some schema metadata might be
> required to give Hive the hint that it can treat an array as a map.
>
>> And a more serious issue with unions, though this wouldn't directly
>> impact us as we wouldn't be using that feature.
>
> I have dealt with unions by exposing all branches of the union to
> Hive and/or Pig.   Branches that are not taken are null.  In some
> cases I expose an extra field for the branch taken.   This does not
> work in all cases, in particular recursive schemas can be troublesome.
>

>> In our situation, we're trying to get the best of both worlds by
> [...]

Ken Krugler
+1 530-210-6378
http://bixolabs.com
e l a s t i c   w e b   m i n i n g