Pig >> mail # user >> Re: release strategy

+
Alan Gates 2011-06-06, 23:25
Re: release strategy
The release cycle of most of the popular softwares (including open source
ones) has a public beta phase. The beta term is well understood by people
and will set the right expectations (compared to just saying Oless stable
that previous *.0 releases¹).

If we can clearly state the guidelines for calling a release beta vs ga , I
think we can avoid having too much debate each time over calling the release
beta vs ga.
How about this criteria for calling a release beta ? - The first release of
new version of pig  (0.x) will be a beta. Once a beta release has been
around for a minimum of two weeks, and all known regressions have been
fixed, the next minor release with the fixes will be called ga.

-Thejas

The version number could be 0.9.0, but in the release notes and download
pages, I think we should
On 6/6/11 4:25 PM, "Alan Gates" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I like 0.9.0 over beta. The code has undergone a lot of testing, just not as
> much as previous x.0 releases. My other concern is that in the future we may
> end up with beta2 and beta3 releases, and with arguments about whether a given
> release is a beta or ga, and what makes a release beta bs ga (the definition
> can't be that Yahoo has tested it). Sticking to a numbering scheme seems
> cleaner.
>
> Alan.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jun 3, 2011, at 8:08, Thejas M Nair <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> On 6/2/11 2:09 PM, "Olga Natkovich" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>
>>> seemed to make most sense to the group. This rule would be combined with
>>> another one - that no features or non-P1 bug fixes would be allowed after
>>> the
>>> branch is cut to guarantee branch stability.
>>>

>> Clarifying for sake users who are not familiar with pig release process - A
>> new svn branch is created when a new version of pig, when the code freeze
>> happens. New features and non-P1 bugs continue to get committed to trunk
>> after that.
>>
>>> We would need to clearly state that this release is likely to be less stable
>>> than previous .0 releases (especially given the amount of change that went
>>> in.). Once we get sufficient number of bug fixes, we would call for 0.9.1
>>> release which would be similar in stability to our earlier .0 release. This
>>
>> I think it is better to explicitly call the initial release a beta release.
>> Ie 0.9.beta . Around 4 weeks after the beta release, we can have a vote for
>> the stable release.
>>
>> -Thejas

Dmitriy Ryaboy 2011-06-07, 20:19
+