MapReduce, mail # user - What is the difference between Rack-local map tasks and Data-local map tasks?

Re: What is the difference between Rack-local map tasks and Data-local map tasks?
Michael Segel 2012-10-07, 14:45
Rack local means that while the data isn't local to the node running the task, it is still on the same rack.
(Its meaningless unless you've set up rack awareness because all of the machines are on the default rack. )

Data local means that the task is running local to the machine that contains the actual data.

HTH

-Mike