Hive >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSS] HCatalog becoming a subproject of Hive

Re: [DISCUSS] HCatalog becoming a subproject of Hive
I don’t agree with the proposal. It is impractical to have a Hcat committer
with commit access to Hcat only portions of Hive. We cannot guarantee that
a Hcat
committer will become a Hive committer in 6-9 months, that depends on what
they do
in the next 6-9 months.

The current Hcat committers should spend more time in reviewing patches,
work on non-Hcat areas in Hive, and then gradually become a hive
committer. They should not be given any preferential treatment, and the
process should be same as it would be for any other hive contributor
currently. Given that the expertise of the Hcat committers, they should
be inline for becoming a hive committer if they continue to work in hive,
but that cannot be guaranteed. I agree that some Hive committers should try
and help the existing Hcat patches, and again that is voluntary and
different
committers cannot be assigned to different parts of the code.

Thanks,
-namit