Hadoop, mail # general - [VOTE] Release hadoop-0.23.0-rc0

+
Arun C Murthy 2011-11-01, 09:47
+
Tom White 2011-11-01, 17:35
Re: [VOTE] Release hadoop-0.23.0-rc0
Alejandro Abdelnur 2011-11-01, 17:57
Nice work Arun, thanks.

A couple comments:

* Regarding version number, any reason we are not using 0.23.0-alpha1
(somebody suggested this last night)?
* Regarding Tom's comment about source not included. My understanding is
that the release should be a source tarball, the -bin tarball is just a
convenience. The -bin tarball should not have to include the source.

Thanks.

Alejandro

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Tom White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Arun,
>
> Thanks for rolling a release candidate!
>
> Initial observations:
>
> * Checksums and signature are good.
> * The license, notice and readme files are hard to find and are
> duplicated. I think they need to be at the top-level.
> * There is no changes file for MapReduce.
> * The source is not included. This is an absolute requirement for all
> Apache releases.
> * Are the binary artifacts published to the Maven staging repo? That
> would be helpful for testing.
> * The tag at
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/tags/release-0.23.0-rc0/
> looks good.
>
> Cheers,
> Tom
>
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 2:47 AM, Arun C Murthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I've created a release candidate for hadoop-0.23.0 that I would like to
> release.
> >
> > It is available at:
> http://people.apache.org/~acmurthy/hadoop-0.23.0-rc0/
> >
> > hadoop-0.23 has significant new features: HDFS Federation and NextGen
> MapReduce being the highlights.
> >
> > It's also very early in the 0.23 life-cycle and the release is
> distinctly 'alpha' quality and is not intended to be stable release
> right-away. The plan is to deploy this to smallish (500+ nodes) clusters
> and to start hardening it. This should also help downstream projects (Pig,
> Hive, HBase) start testing against the 0.23 line. Expect to see more
> bug-fix releases of the branch-0.23 in the forthcoming weeks (0.23.1 etc.)
> >
> > Please try the release and vote; the vote will run for the usual 7 days.
> >
> > thanks,
> > Arun

+
Uma Maheswara Rao G 72686... 2011-11-01, 18:47
+
Owen OMalley 2011-11-01, 21:53
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2011-11-01, 22:02
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2011-11-01, 17:40
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2011-11-01, 17:40
+
Alan Gates 2011-11-02, 22:11