Accumulo, mail # user - Removing splits [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

RE: Removing splits [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
Dickson, Matt MR 2013-04-09, 00:43
UNCLASSIFIED

All queries will include a on date range, ane a particular family value which will specify the shard of data.  The splits have been setup to prevent hotspoting on load and because the most recent data is queried most heavily striping the data across the cluster for each day will ensure query distribution.

My understanding of the splits was that they were only used during loading the data, so once the data is loaded they were redundant. Is that correct?

________________________________
From: David Medinets [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, 9 April 2013 10:27
To: accumulo-user
Subject: Re: Removing splits [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

What advantage do you feel you'll gain by removing the splits? Do you know how you'll be querying the data?
On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 7:35 PM, Dickson, Matt MR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

UNCLASSIFIED

Hi guys,

Just a simple question.  We ingest data in daily batches and create splits on the data to distribute the loading, eg splits are 20130407-1, 20130407-2, ... 20130407-n

Once this data is loaded the splits will not be required again.  Is there a maximum number of splits a table can have?  How can splits be removed once they are nolonger required, I can't see any command in the api?

Thanks in advance,
Matt Dickson

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Department of Defence and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the Crimes Act 1914. If you have received this email in error, you are requested to contact the sender and delete the email.