HBase >> mail # user >> Long row + column keys

Long row + column keys
Hi,

I have a schema where the rows are 8 bytes long and the columns are 12
bytes long (roughly 1000 columns per row). The value is 0 bytes. Is this
going to be space inefficient in terms of HFile size (large index + blocks)
? The total key size, as far as i know, would be 8 + 12 + 8 (timestamp) 28 bytes. I am using hbase 0.94.0 which has HFile v2.

Also, should I be using an encoding technique to get the number of bytes
down (like PrefixDeltaEncoding) which is provided by hbase ?

Thanks !
Varun