Zookeeper, mail # user - avoiding the risk of starting ZooKeeper servers in the same ensemble with different transaction logs

+
German Blanco 2013-09-24, 12:45
+
Benjamin Reed 2013-09-25, 02:37
+
German Blanco 2013-09-25, 14:44
Re: avoiding the risk of starting ZooKeeper servers in the same ensemble with different transaction logs
Alexander Shraer 2013-09-27, 00:00
Some time in the past we were discussing adding a unique identifier
for each ensemble in the config files and checking it. For example
when a server tries to connect to the leader. I'm not sure if the is a Jira
for this.
On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 7:44 AM, German Blanco <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Exactly.
> I know it is silly, but I think this is what happened, and I would feel
> better if there was a way to avoid it to happen again.
>

> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 4:37 AM, Benjamin Reed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > when you say inconsistent transaction log, are you talking about a
> > transaction log from a different ensemble instance?
> >
> > for example, you ran zookeeper and did some things. then you reset the
> all
> > the servers but one and restarted everything.
> >
> > ben
> >

> > On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 5:45 AM, German Blanco <
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > > I have run into this situation a couple of times.
> > > Because of an error, one ZooKeeper server in the ensemble is started
> > > with an inconsistent transaction log. This leads to serious and
> difficult
> > > to trace problems, until you notice that clients connected to one of
> the
> > > servers see a different data tree than the others.
> > > I would really like to avoid this, and it happens that the amount of
> data
> > > in my data tree is not that much (around 40 kBytes). So I would like to
> > > propose a new option to force synchronization via snapshot in the
> > ZooKeeper
> > > Leader.
> > > Any opinions?
> > > Any other options?