Accumulo, mail # user - Performance of table with large number of column families

Re: Performance of table with large number of column families
William Slacum 2012-11-09, 17:02
So that means you have roughly 312.5k rows per tablet, which means about
725k column families in any given tablet. The intersecting iterator will
work at a row per time, so I think at any given moment, it will be working
through 32 at a time and doing a linear scan through the RFile blocks. With
RFile indices, that check is usually pretty fast, but you're having go
through 4 orders of magnitude more data sequentially than you can work on.
If you can experiment and re-ingest with a smaller number of tablets,
anywhere between 15 and 45, I think you will see better performance.