Chukwa >> mail # dev >> Re: Shepherding: chukwa, mesos, directmemory

+
Alan D. Cabrera 2012-07-03, 13:26
+
Jukka Zitting 2012-07-03, 14:35
+
Ahmed Fathalla 2012-07-03, 16:11
On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 7:35 AM, Jukka Zitting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Not sure if it's the case here (I don't follow Chukwa in detail), but
> I know some projects where a highly active lead developer has actually
> held back the community even though he had all the best intentions in
> mind. Instead of directly jumping in and fixing issues that people
> encounter, it's often a better long-term idea to help them come up
> with a solution themselves.

+1

Supplying an elaborate recipe for fixing a bug or implementing a feature and
actively soliciting a patch can be more effective at engaging a
potential contributor
than committing it yourself.  Basically, give them 75% of the patch but then
leave them hanging so that they have to take action to get their concern
addressed.

Not everyone wants to be a core contributor, so things won't always work out.
And if you think the feature or bug fix is important, at some point you have to
give up on the recruitment effort and just finish it yourself. But
it's worthwhile to
hold off for a few weeks if you can.

Marvin Humphrey