Hadoop >> mail # user >> Upload, then decompress archive on HDFS?

Upload, then decompress archive on HDFS?
Instead of "hd fs -put" hundreds of files of X megs, I want to do it once on a gzipped (or zipped) archive, one file, much smaller total megs.  Then I want to decompress the archive on HDFS?  I can't figure out what "hd fs" type command would do such a thing.

Thanks.

"What I primarily learned in grad school is how much I *don't* know.
Consequently, I left grad school with a higher ignorance to knowledge ratio than
when I entered."
                                           --  Keith Wiley