Zookeeper, mail # dev - Work on CLI

Re: Work on CLI
Henry Robinson 2012-02-27, 02:31
Hi Hartmut -

Great! Any improvements to the CLI are most welcome.

Compatibility *is* a concern; although I don't think we view the CLI as an
API that we have to maintain, we shouldn't go changing it without a good
reason. This applies really only to your proposal to change the syntax for
commands.

I would open a JIRA for each of the changes you want to work on, and we can
discuss their merits there. I've commented briefly on each proposal below.

On 24 February 2012 03:02, Hartmut Lang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i started to look into the CLI code of zookeeper, and think of making some
> contributions there.
>
> My ideas:
> - use commons-cli for option parsing (see:
> ZOOKEEPER-271<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-271>
> )

Sounds good. Feel free to start work on this one!
> - switch to options instead of args: like -w instead of [watch] or -v
> version instead of [version]
> - use a -s option if you want to see Stat of a command
> - we could also do a "rm [-r]" instead of "delete" and "deleteall" (see:
> ZOOKEEPER-1326 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-1326>)

This is probably ok, but the only potentially incompatible change. What's a
compelling reason for doing this?
> - order the result of a "ls" command
> - order the list of available commands

These sound fine. File a JIRA?
> - introduce own Class for every command, to be more flexible in adding
> removing commands

Yep, it would be nice to sort out that giant if-then-if-then block in
ZooKeeperMain. File a JIRA?

Thanks,
Henry

--