Home | About | Sematext search-lucene.com search-hadoop.com
NEW: Monitor These Apps!
elasticsearch, apache solr, apache hbase, hadoop, redis, casssandra, amazon cloudwatch, mysql, memcached, apache kafka, apache zookeeper, apache storm, ubuntu, centOS, red hat, debian, puppet labs, java, senseiDB
 Search Hadoop and all its subprojects:

Switch to Threaded View
Pig >> mail # user >> Run a job async


Copy link to this message
-
Re: Run a job async
>> if you have multiple threads that run a query via PigServer, there is a
great chance of the internals clashing because of the use of static
variable within Pig.

Recently, I spent some time on this, and what I found is that the Pig
front-end is quite thread-safe. Here is how I tested it:

1) Wrote a PigUnit test that runs in MR mode.
2) Executed test cases concurrently in 4 threads using a JUnit extension
called temps-fugit:
http://tempusfugitlibrary.org/documentation/junit/parallel/

After fixing PIG-3096, I was able to successfully run Pig queries in
parallel. It's important to note that only the front-end needs to be
thread-safe since that's what is executed in parallel.

I arbitrarily selected queries from e2e test cases, so they are probably
not complex enough to mimic real-world examples. Nevertheless, my test
program ran without a problem for few days. I couldn't continue my
experiment because I was pulled out into something else. However, I think
that making the front-end thread-safe is an achievable goal.

Thanks,
Cheolsoo

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 11:18 PM, Ramakrishna Nalam
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> That clarifies it for me, thanks a lot.
>
> Regards,
> Rama.
>
>
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Jonathan Coveney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >wrote:
>
> > Well, when I say that Pig is not multi-threaded, what I mean is that if
> you
> > have multiple threads that run a query via PigServer, there is a great
> > chance of the internals clashing because of the use of static variables
> > within Pig. Pig itself, when running a single query, is multi-threaded.
> > It's just not "multi-threaded" in the sense that multiple instances can
> > safely be run in the same JVM.
> >
> >
> > 2013/1/24 Ramakrishna Nalam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> > > Hi Jonathan,
> > >
> > > Pardon if it's a naive question, but Interesting that you say Pig is
> not
> > > multithreaded.
> > > We're using Pig 0.10.0, and looking at the code, it seems to do the
> right
> > > things to handle multi threaded requests (ThreadLocal for ScriptState
> for
> > > eg).
> > >
> > > Would be great if you can point out to the kind of issues there could
> be.
> > >
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Rama.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 8:32 PM, Praveen M <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > > > Are there any plans on making the pigserver multi-threaded?
> > > >
> > > > since there is "PigProcessNotificationListener" to subscribe for
> async
> > > > callbacks when the pig job completes, is there any real need to keep
> > the
> > > > pig job submitting thread waiting until the job completes?
> > > >
> > > > Is this just a shortcoming today or are there more concrete reasons
> > > against
> > > > providing with a pigserver which can submit to the cluster in
> mapreduce
> > > > mode async?
> > > >
> > > > Thanks,
> > > > Praveen
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 10:56 PM, Jonathan Coveney <
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > > >wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > I think whatever way you slice it, handling thousands of pig jobs
> > > > > asynchronously is going to be a bear. I mean, this is essentially
> > what
> > > > the
> > > > > job tracker does, albeit with a lot less information.
> > > > >
> > > > > Either way, Pig is not multi-threaded so having more than one
> > instance
> > > of
> > > > > Pig in the same JVM is going to start causing problems (which is
> > why, I
> > > > > imagine, there is no async way to call Pig). So multiple processes
> is
> > > > > really the only way around it that I know of.
> > > > >
> > > > > At Twitter we have a deployment of mesos, and our long term
> solution
> > is
> > > > > going to be running all of our pig jobs on mesos, in the short term
> > by
> > > > > deploying daemons that run pig jobs as local processes.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > 2013/1/23 Prashant Kommireddi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > > >
> > > > > > Both. Think of it as an app server handling all of these
> requests.
> > > > > >
>
NEW: Monitor These Apps!
elasticsearch, apache solr, apache hbase, hadoop, redis, casssandra, amazon cloudwatch, mysql, memcached, apache kafka, apache zookeeper, apache storm, ubuntu, centOS, red hat, debian, puppet labs, java, senseiDB