Pig >> mail # dev >> pig 0.11 candidate 2 feedback: Several problems

Re: pig 0.11 candidate 2 feedback: Several problems
I agree that we shouldn't have to support old versions forever. That said,
I also don't think we should be too blase about supporting older versions
where it is not odious to do so. We have a lot of competition in the
language space and the broader the versions we can support, the better
(assuming it isn't too odious to do so). In this case, I don't think it
should be too hard to change ObjectSerializer so that the commons-codec
code used is compatible with both versions...we could just in-line some of
the Base64 code, and comment accordingly.

That said, we also should be clear about what versions we support, but 6-12
months seems short. The upgrade cycles on Hadoop are really, really long.