Hadoop, mail # user - freeze a mapreduce job

Re: freeze a mapreduce job
Michael Segel 2012-05-11, 11:26
Just a quick note...

If your task is currently occupying a slot,  the only way to release the slot is to kill the specific task.
If you are using FS, you can move the task to another queue and/or you can lower the job's priority which will cause new tasks to spawn  slower than other jobs so you will eventually free up the cluster.

There isn't a way to 'freeze' or stop a job mid state.

Is the issue that the job has a large number of slots, or is it an issue of the individual tasks taking a  long time to complete?

If its the latter, you will probably want to go to a capacity scheduler over the fair scheduler.

HTH

-Mike