HBase >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSS] Namespace Delimiter

+
Francis Liu 2013-05-07, 23:38
+
Jonathan Hsieh 2013-05-07, 23:43
+
Ian Varley 2013-05-07, 23:49
+
Francis Liu 2013-05-08, 00:22
Re: [DISCUSS] Namespace Delimiter
On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Francis Liu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> One thing I had in mind was to automatically assume that the first dot
> delimits the namespace name. During upgrade we automatically create those
> namespaces and assign the tables accordingly. They can then eventually
> migrate/rename their tables (if needed) at a later time. In the extreme
> case that would be one namespace per table. For which we will provide a
> tool to rename offline tables.
>
> I'm guessing most cases would not require a rename. What else do people
> use dots in their table name for?

With namespaces in place, will '.' be illegal in a table name?

With namespaces, is there a no-namespace/default location?  If so, what
will it be called or how will you refer to tables in the
no-namespace/default namespace?

I just took a user's production website where there are hundreds of tables.
 For no good reason that I can see, they happened to have choosen '_' and
'-' as table name partitioner: i.e. application_feature, etc.  My sense is
they could just as easily have gone with '.' but maybe the '.META.' name
frightens people away from '.'?

Anyone using '.' in their table names?

St.Ack
+