Hive >> mail # user >> Numbers display in Hive CLI

Re: Numbers display in Hive CLI
Yeah. I would think i'd be a useful feature to have in the client - but
probably not the Hive CLI client. The Hive client seems pretty bare bones
and my guess it'll probably stay that way.   The Beeline client, however,
looks to be where these kinds of bells and whistles probably could/should
be added.  Check that app out and see if you agree.  (search hive beeline).

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 9:47 AM, pandees waran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks Stephen! I shall check this . My requirement is controlling the
> formatting in session level using some properties set. Looks like, there's
> no such as of now . Would this be a good feature in hive cli?
> If many people think so, then I can file a feature request.
> —
> Sent from Mailbox <https://www.dropbox.com/mailbox> for iPad
>

> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 8:11 PM, Stephen Sprague <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>
>> well... a good 'ol search (let's not use the word google) of "hive udf"
>> we find this:
>>

>> https://cwiki.apache.org/Hive/languagemanual-udf.html#LanguageManualUDF-StringFunctionsand there's a reference to a function called format_number().
>>
>> or did you really want the *hive CLI* to format the number? if that's the
>> case then no there is no option for that in the hive client.
>>

>> On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 11:30 PM, pandees waran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>>
>>> HI,
>>>
>>> I see the SUM(double_column) displays the result in scientific notation
>>> in the hive cli. Is there any way to customize the number display in hive
>>> CLI?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Thanks,
>>> Pandeeswaran