HBase >> mail # user >> Best way to compact a region after a move?

Re: Best way to compact a region after a move?
balancerCluster() executes on master. Compaction is region server activity.
So they don't pair naturally.

I answered first part of the question in the thread titled 'How to know
it's time for a major compaction?':

In RegionObserver, we already have the following hook:

  /**
   * Called after the region is reported as open to the master.
   * @param c the environment provided by the region server
   */
  void postOpen(final ObserverContext<
RegionCoprocessorEnvironment> c);

Auto-compaction logic can be triggered through the above hook.

Take a look at the following hook for the second part of your question:

  void postCompact(final ObserverContext<RegionCoprocessorEnvironment> c,
final HStore store,
      StoreFile resultFile) throws IOException;

Cheers