MapReduce, mail # dev - [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.1.0-beta

+
Arun C Murthy 2013-06-26, 08:17
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-06-28, 19:25
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-06-28, 21:05
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-07-02, 00:33
Hitesh Shah 2013-06-28, 19:03
Hi Arun,

From a YARN perspective, YARN-791 and YARN-727 are 2 jiras that may potentially change the apis. They can implemented in a backward compat fashion if committed after 2.1.0. However, this will require adding of differently-named apis ( different urls in case of the webservices ) and make the current version of the api deprecated and/or obsolete. YARN-818 which is currently patch available also changes behavior.

Assuming that as soon as 2.1.0 is released, we are to follow a very strict backward-compat retaining approach to all user-facing layers  ( api/webservices/rpc/... ) in common/hdfs/yarn/mapreduce, does it make sense to try and pull them in and roll out a new RC after they are ready? Perhaps Vinod can chime in if he is aware of any other such jiras under YARN-386 which should be considered compat-related blockers for a 2.1.0 RC.

thanks
-- Hitesh

On Jun 26, 2013, at 1:17 AM, Arun C Murthy wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I've created a release candidate (rc0) for hadoop-2.1.0-beta that I would like to get released.
>
> This release represents a *huge* amount of work done by the community (639 fixes) which includes several major advances including:
> # HDFS Snapshots
> # Windows support
> # YARN API stabilization
> # MapReduce Binary Compatibility with hadoop-1.x
> # Substantial amount of integration testing with rest of projects in the ecosystem
>
> The RC is available at: http://people.apache.org/~acmurthy/hadoop-2.1.0-beta-rc0/
> The RC tag in svn is here: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/tags/release-2.1.0-beta-rc0

> thanks,
> Arun
>
> --
> Arun C. Murthy
> Hortonworks Inc.
> http://hortonworks.com/

+
Sandy Ryza 2013-06-28, 19:07
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-07-03, 18:06
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-07-17, 19:24
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2013-07-17, 20:04
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-07-17, 23:14
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2013-07-17, 23:25
+
Devaraj Das 2013-07-21, 07:43