Accumulo >> mail # dev >> Setting Charset in getBytes() call.

Re: Setting Charset in getBytes() call.
David, I beg to differ.

Setting it via the JVM property is a single change to make, whereas if
you change every single usage of getBytes(), you now forced the next
person to branch the code, change everything to UTF16 (hypothetical use
case) and continue a diverged codebase forever.

I would say that the reason that such a JVM property exists is to
alleviate you from having to make these code changes in the first place.