Flume, mail # user - Lock contention in FileChannel

Re: Lock contention in FileChannel
Pankaj Gupta 2013-08-14, 02:16
Replacing FileChannel with Memory Channel I see way better performance,
which confirms that there are no other bottlenecks in the rest of the
subsystem i.e. the AvroSinks can accept and transfer data to the next box
if the channel allows them to read faster.
On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 7:06 PM, Pankaj Gupta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Looking at the code it seems like the lock and the i/o is done per event
> and not for a batch. Is that correct? If that is the case then it seems
> like there is a lot of overhead per event. The throughput I'm seeing is 1 -
> 1.5 MBps per disk which is way below the sequential read/write capacity of
> the disk which is easily over 50MBps. Adding more sinks doesn't help, they
> just block waiting for the queue to become free. CPU usage is 20%, there is
> enough RAM for page cache so that no read is going to disk. The queue seems
> to be the bottleneck. What is the throughput I should expect per disk?
>

> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 5:51 PM, Brock Noland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> The lock is per file. Adding more directories to the channel will cause
>> more files to be created. Of course you'll need additional disks behind
>> those directories to see any performance increase.
>>

>> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 7:14 PM, Hari Shreedharan <
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>>  Yes, IO is done inside locks to avoid multiple takes and puts getting
>>> written out at the same time. Even though Java makes sure the writes are
>>> serialized, Flume still needs to keep track of some counters etc, so the
>>> lock is required. Note that the lock you are talking about is  in the
>>> LogFile class, which represents a single file - so even if the write is
>>> inside that lock (which is also inside that class itself) that  does not
>>> cause any contention - because the lock is just preventing two IO ops to
>>> happen at the same time.
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Hari
>>>
>>> On Tuesday, August 13, 2013 at 5:01 PM, Pankaj Gupta wrote:
>>>
>>> It seems like some i/o is done inside the lock, which means that time
>>> for taking a lock is proportional to the time for i/o and thus it becomes a
>>> problem. I apologize in advance if I am wrong but the call stack and
>>> behavior I'm seeing seems to suggest that. Specifically, it seems that we
>>> do a write while inside take:
>>> "SinkRunner-PollingRunner-LoadBalancingSinkProcessor" prio=10
>>> tid=0x00007f857338c800 nid=0x404a runnable [0x00007f821b2f1000]
>>>    java.lang.Thread.State: RUNNABLE
>>>         at sun.nio.ch.NativeThread.current(Native Method)
>>>         at sun.nio.ch.NativeThreadSet.add(NativeThreadSet.java:27)
>>>         at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.write(FileChannelImpl.java:194)
>>>         - locked <0x00000005190ec998> (a java.lang.Object)
>>>         at
>>> org.apache.flume.channel.file.LogFile$Writer.write(LogFile.java:247)
>>>         at
>>> org.apache.flume.channel.file.LogFile$Writer.take(LogFile.java:212)
>>>         - locked <0x0000000519111590> (a
>>> org.apache.flume.channel.file.LogFileV3$Writer)
>>>         at org.apache.flume.channel.file.Log.take(Log.java:550)
>>>         at
>>> org.apache.flume.channel.file.FileChannel$FileBackedTransaction.doTake(FileChannel.java:499)
>>>         at
> [...]

*P* | (415) 677-9222 ext. 205 *F *| (415) 677-0895 | [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Pankaj Gupta | Software Engineer

*BrightRoll, Inc. *| Smart Video Advertising | www.brightroll.com
United States | Canada | United Kingdom | Germany
We're hiring<http://newton.newtonsoftware.com/career/CareerHome.action?clientId=8a42a12b3580e2060135837631485aa7>
!