HBase, mail # dev - Thinking about 0.98

Thinking about 0.98
Andrew Purtell 2013-08-15, 19:21
On the thread '[UPDATE] Finishing up 0.96 --> WAS Re: 0.95 and 0.96
remaining issues', Stack, our RM for 0.95/0.96 has drawn the line on a
feature freeze and set a course for an 0.96 release to happen soon. Toward
the end of that thread there is a bit on beyond 0.96 that I have included
below for your reference. To summarize the discussion points:

- This is a call for an 0.98 major release in early October. Let's discuss
first if that timeframe is reasonable, and then what can and should go into
a new major release in this timeframe.

- I have volunteered to manage this release. Let's discuss if there are
concerns or objections to that.

Assuming there are no objections, in a few days I will adjust target
versions for 0.98 in JIRA, file any new issues as needed, and then post a
summary here. I suggest looking at 0.98 through the lens of being the last
release before the big 1.0 event. Therefore, what should go in are things
that almost made the 0.96 cut, and "1.0 necessary" features that, first,
should be in a 1.0 product, and, second, could benefit from one release
cycle to bake. Once there is an 0.98 major release, I also suggest a
regular train of minor releases like what Lars has done for 0.94. Also, I
don't think it necessary to decide today if a 0.98 release should become
the 1.0 release directly, we will always have that option. I suggest
waiting to make that call until 0.98 releases are under test and fielded.

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Andrew Purtell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 12:57 PM, Stack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I see no reason that 0.98 cannot come out a week or a month after 0.96;
>
>  tags is close and justification enough for a major release.
> > I propose Andrew as RM for 0.98/1.0.0 if he is up for taking it on.
>
> I would be pleased to volunteer to RM 0.98.

Sounds good to me.  Would suggest announcing your taking it up in a new
thread rather than down here in the middle of this one -- perhaps
soliciting if any objection? -- and maybe as part of a message announcing
our starting up the 0.98 cycle.  Good on you Andrew.

> If I were to be your RM for 0.98, then I would suggest a .0 release in the
> beginning of October. There are 42 open issues against 0.98 specifically
> and I would like to also provide everyone some time for post 0.96 release
> thinking.

Be aware that issues have been moved here just to get them out of 0.96. Feel
free to punt them on again if not being worked on or not appropriate.

We might want to put out a call for what folks think should be in a
release that
is slated for October -- or what they are working on and think they can
finish inside the October constraint.

> I am not sure we should move from 0.98 to 1.0 without another interim
> release, that would be a call for a later time perhaps, maybe a 1.0
release
> at the start of January 2014.

Ok.  Something to discuss.
<<<