Pig, mail # dev - Our release process

+
Olga Natkovich 2012-11-02, 22:58
+
Alan Gates 2012-11-03, 03:19
+
Gianmarco De Francisci Mo... 2012-11-03, 17:20
+
Olga Natkovich 2012-11-05, 01:17
+
Gianmarco De Francisci Mo... 2012-11-05, 18:37
+
Olga Natkovich 2012-11-05, 18:48
+
Gianmarco De Francisci Mo... 2012-11-05, 19:34
Re: Our release process
Jonathan Coveney 2012-11-06, 00:53
This seems to make sense to me. People can always back-port features, and
this encourages them to use the newer ones. It also means we will be more
rigorous about stability, which is good as it is a big plus for Pig. I
think for older branches, stability trumps features in a big way.
2012/11/5 Gianmarco De Francisci Morales <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 10:48 AM, Olga Natkovich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > Hi Gianmarco,
> >
> > Thanks for your comments. Here is a little more information.
> >
> > At Yahoo, we consider the following issues to be P1:
> >
> > (1) Bugs that cause wrong results being produced silently
> > (2) Bugs that cause failures with no easy workaround
> >

> Thanks Olga, now I get what you mean.
> I don't have a strong opinion on this.
> On one hand I see why you don't want to put too many patches in the
> branches in order to keep things stable.
> On the other hand when we do a 0.10.x release with x>0 the users would
> like to have as many bugs fixed as possible.
>
> > Regarding tests. I would suggest we have different rules for trunk and
> branches:
> >
> > (1) For branches, I think we should run the full regression suite
> (including e2e) prior to commit. This way we can ensure branch stability
> and, as number of patches should be small, will not be a burden
> > (2) For trunk, we can go with test-commit only and fix things quickly
> when things break.
>
> I think this makes sense. +1
>
> > Olga
>
> Cheers,